Re: [SLUG] Remote X,...Ding!!!, Round 2

From: John (john@jmp-systems.com)
Date: Thu Feb 13 2003 - 09:29:16 EST

Hi Vernon! I only got to the first part of your test:

-> First of all one thing to try as root is
-> "startx -- :1"
->
-> That should bring up kde in display 1.
-> If root's home directory has an .xinitrc file all bets are
off.
-> If there is such a file delete it before trying the command
above.

Just so I haven't slipped up, let me tell you some details:

First, last night I reinstalled RH8 so at this point in time
there are NO files that have been modified for X forwarding,
etc. Shouldn't need anything like that for your first test,
correct?

I checked the root directory for .xinitrc and there wasn't one.

Then, I start with a machine that is freshly booted, sitting
there with a graphic login screen.

I hit ctrl-alt-F1, which gets me to first VC.

Log in as root.

Type: startx -- :1

What I get is that same screen that I described earlier, PLUS
some more stuff added at the bottom, now (hey, that's new!).

I don't know how to capture a screen dump, so the "good stuff"
(leaving out the things that I don't think are important) is:

(EE)GARTInit: AGPIOC_INFO
failed (invalid argument)

(EE)I810(0): AGP GART support is not available. Make sure your
kernal has agpgart support or that the agpgart kernel module is
loaded.

(EE)Screen(s) found, but none have usable configuration

Fatal server error no screens found

.......PLUS, here's the new stuff on the bottom of the screen:

XIO: fatal IO error 104 (Connection reset by peer) on X server
":1.0" after 0 requests (0 known processed) with 0 events
remaining.

I'm hoping that you didn't need a +xhosts or anything enabled in
some file for this to work, because this has nothing to do with
a remote machine, correct?

Thanks for the help!

John