[SLUG] Help, no scsi devices in Slackware 8.1 iso

From: Tom Suzda (suzda@shawus.com)
Date: Sun Feb 16 2003 - 00:09:27 EST

While I read this list daily, and I've learned lots, I'm really stumped on
this one.

I've got 7 systems running right now, (1) W2K, (2) W98, (3) Slackware 7.1.
and (1) running Coyote for my firewall. No problems, all installed perfectly
and running great for as long as I can remember.

I'm putting together another system, dual PIII XEON on an Intel C440GX
motherboard, 512 MB ram, 4 - 9.1 GB Ultra2 SCSI disks, and a cdrom running
as the master on ide1. The motherboard has video, lan, and an Adaptec7896
SCSI controller on board.

I decided that this new system will be my workstation. With that in mind, I
decided that I would run version 8.1 of Slackware. I was able to download
the iso image and burn it to cdrom. The CD boots perfectly.

Now the problem: If I boot the standard bare.i kernel, it doesn't recognize
the scsi controller, so I can't load the s/w to disk. If I tell it to use
the adaptec.s kernel, it goes through, finds the controllers, takes about 15
minutes while it queries all the drives, and allows me to log in to the
system. So I continue to try to fdisk /dev/sda, which tells me there is no
such device. Looking at the /dev folder, I notice that there are no sd
devices. Was this left off the iso images? If I boot my Slackware 7.1 cd,
everything works fine, but I don't wan to have to install the 7.1 version to
get the 8.1 version working..

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Tom