Re: [SLUG] Samba madness

From: Robert Eanes (rheanes3@yahoo.com)
Date: Sun Feb 16 2003 - 14:17:24 EST

Ok... sorry taking so long to get back to you .. flu
101 temp= muddy thoughts.

Ok Samba= Server Message Block = Netbios. Crappy
Netbios protocol is what Samba uses. Win ME, NT and
down are all based on Netbios networking at a
fundemental level. W2k,XP and up are all based on
TCP/IP. That is why I suggest installing older
Netbios protocol.

After installing client and netbios/netbeiu goto
Network Nieghborhood. You should see the workgroup
configured in your Samba config. Weed around for it
ie.. view entire network. MS like to hide things...
If memory serves you will see the old net neighborhood
icon next to local network labeled "computers near me"
 If Samba is set right the workgroup will be in there.

As for pinging the netbios name .. my bad. did not
remember that command line ping doesn't like the "\\".
 But it is needed for "find computer" and "internet
explorer". ie. my computer "ernie" ... "ping ernie"
.. and in IE "\\ernie" will bring up the share.

TCP\IP has nothing to do with this except as a
transport.. that's why the Netbios/TCP ommits the IP.
Make sure you are not trying to pring the hostname of
your computer ie . the dns tcp/ip name. You need to
find out what the share name is.

Verify Netbios function on w2k machine by command line
ping of the netbios name of the w2k machine.. ie. I'm
on "ernie", I ping "ernie". If it works, then you
know that it is a Samba server problem.

Most problems I see are a problem with the client
being set up properly, and you shouldn't need
"lmhosts" or a "wins" server to do this as long as you
are not traversing subnets. "master browser" makes
not difference either. On win98 sometimes it will
speed things up, but it does not effect functionality.

If the Samba server is not functioning then narrow
problem down ... is the share name visible? if so, is
authenication a problem? Do you have a firewall
blocking the ports for Samba? There are plenty of
people on the list that know more than I do about
Samba setup. I hope this helps with the client setup.

Good Luck,
Rob