Re: [SLUG] vinyl conversions

From: R.G. Mayhue (r.g.mayhue@verizon.net)
Date: Sun Feb 16 2003 - 08:30:12 EST

On Sunday 16 February 2003 05:30 pm, you wrote:

> > connected to the linux box. You see where I'm going. Anyone have
> > any suggestions on how best I can convert my LPs to mp3s (or
>
> Well the fact is that the signal coming out of the turntable is
> about 2 mV versus the 500 mV needed to feed a Line input.
>
> So you must have a amp in between. The easiest is to use a amp that
> has an input for this purpose (on my amp its called Phono). Then
> take a Line out signal like tape out and connect to your Line in on
> the soundcard.

The signal level (as stated) is one thing to consider here but I just wanted
to add this:

You should always use a preamp with a "Phono" input for connecting your
turntable. The phono input has special equalization circuits to compensate
for the low frequency "de-emphasis" that is applied during the record
mastering (cutting) process. The eq is needed or the recording will sound
"tinny".

Since LP's (vinyl) are truely analog recordings the de-emphasis is needed to
prevent the record's grooves from becoming to large.

Damn... I must be getting old :))

--
R.G. Mayhue
r.g.mayhue@verizon.net