Re: [SLUG] vinyl conversions

From: steve (steve@itcom.net)
Date: Sun Feb 16 2003 - 12:30:25 EST

> connected to the linux box. You see where I'm going. Anyone have
> any suggestions on how best I can convert my LPs to mp3s (or

Well the fact is that the signal coming out of the turntable is
about 2 mV versus the 500 mV needed to feed a Line input.

So you must have a amp in between. The easiest is to use a amp that
has an input for this purpose (on my amp its called Phono). Then
take a Line out signal like tape out and connect to your Line in on
the soundcard.

I use my preamp out so I have one extra volume control. You don't
want to crank it up too high as it's possible some amp would push
more than Line out (500mV) and blow your soundcard as someone did.
I have a VCR which is connected to my cable so I can watch cable tv,
VHS movies, DVDs and listen to radio from my computer.

For casual listening you should not have any problems.

Please do not mix this up with speaker output! There's no way to
connect the speaker output into a amplifier again. We are talking
very high voltage (relative to .5V) which will blow any and all
Line amplifiers!

--

Steve ______________________________________________________ (This sig has been left open for your imagination.)