RE: [SLUG] rpm permissions

From: wchast@utilpart.com
Date: Mon Feb 24 2003 - 15:09:31 EST

At the command line I just do a
rpm -i <filename>
You can also do
rpm -i (options) <filename>

-----Original Message-----
From: Joe Brandt [mailto:vzd1s11k@verizon.net]
Sent: 23 February, 2003 09:59
To: slug@nks.net
Subject: Re: [SLUG] rpm permissions

Norbert Cartagena wrote:
> Joe Brandt wrote:
>
>> am using RedHat 8.0. I downloaded everybuddy-0.4.3.1i586.rpm as a
>> user. I try to install (supplying the root password in the dialog
>> box) and it says I do not have permission. I changed the permissions
>> enabling everything to anybody and still get the same result.
>>
>> What am I doing wrong?
>>

> Can you retrace your steps for us? (Include the error message). Also,
> have you tried doing it via command line? Maybe there's something wrong
> with the dialogue.
>
> Gnorb

Command line is foreign to me. How do you handle rpm's in the command
line? Using the Nautilus 2.0.6 file manager I highlited the package,
right clicked chose properties, selected permissions and checked all 9
boxes. then double click the icon and get a message box to input root
password. I supplied the correct password and an error message pops up
that says "Could not open package the file (insert file and path)
could not be read make sure you have the proper permissions on it " I
am listed as the owner (not root) and also group.

I get this message on all rpms I try to install 4 out of 4.

This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are confidential and are
addressed. If you have received this transmission in error, please notify
the sender immediately and destroy any hard copies you may have printed and
remove all copies of the e-mail from your hard drive. Opinions, conclusions
business of Utility Partners, Inc shall be understood as neither given nor
endorsed by it.

Visit us on the web at http://www.utilpart.com