Re: [SLUG] {SPAM?} mouse or lack of

From: jeff (jdavis70@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Mon Feb 24 2003 - 18:12:33 EST

A2L1 wrote:

> The practice will do me some good and it will also prompt me to get more into command line
>editors. So far after all my studies I have come to the conclusion that emacs
>seems the best suited( numerous online lists of keyboard commands and it
>seems more inclined to my type of usage) Again I thank you for your reply and
>kick myself for not thinking of it, but the entire system will be installed
>and updated by later tonite, I hope.
>
> Thanks,
> A J

    Glad I could help. You have a good point about command line stuff.
The Linux cert class that I took, the instructors really harped on the
fact that if we were doing onsite consulting, more than likely the
servers would have been stripped of most if not all GUI tools. They
pushed Vi and Pico as they felt that those would be the most commonly
used editors due to their small footprint. After drilling us for a week
or so with the more common tasks from the CLI, then we had to write
scripts that would automate those same tasks. At that point, I felt that
it was a waste of time since the distros seem to be getting more GUI
oriented, but in practice, it has been very useful knowledge more than once.

    And the bit about kicking yourself? I have you beat there. :-D I
fought for days once trying to perform a nfs install. I chased hardware,
software, and even prayed to the Linux gods to no avail. I was ready to
give up when I finally saw the problem...one letter was lowercase that
should have been uppercase in the export path. I felt pretty stupid
until I realized that no one else that had looked over the config files
had caught it either, and some of them had considerable more experience
than I did. No matter how much knowledge or experience you have, sooner
or later a really simple thing like this will absolutely leave you
feeling like an idiot. ;-)

    Jeff