Re: [SLUG] Back to proposing Linux as a solution.

From: Kwan Lowe (kwan@digitalhermit.com)
Date: Thu Feb 27 2003 - 09:29:54 EST

On Thu, 2003-02-27 at 08:58, Russell Hires wrote:
> You're right about the stupidity charge. I'll have to send a piece I received
> from someone at my company about how to sell Linux to management. My problem
> is that it might get considered if I can somehow figure out how to price
> everything.
>
> In spite of the fact that it's "Free" of cost, it still costs. I don't think
> business cares much about the liberty (Libre) part of it. Why they don't care
> is a mystery. It's a real head shaker.

My two cents:
I've done a few Linux installations for small businesses over the past
couple years. For shops run by one or two people, having familiarity and
control over the system is tops. Windows is very familiar to them and
they're comfortable with it. Interestingly enough, I've found that
they're more likely to try Linux if there's some sort of Windows
front-end to the Linux server. Webmin works great. Even running a
Windows X-server to launch a TCL/TK gui seems to work pretty well.

I've so far been hiding the cost of the Linux distribution in my fees.