Re: [SLUG] RE: Verison DSL

From: Jared Quedens (jared_quedens@yahoo.com)
Date: Thu Feb 27 2003 - 13:52:52 EST

Maureen,
        I belive Verizon gives you a Static IP, I havent used Mandrake in a while but in RH its
just a matter of editing a file (eth0-cfg). If you are coming from dialup, DSL is gonna rock your
world! DSL stands for Digital Subscriber Line and is just that, You are directly connect to the
central office from your home. A Unit at the Central office called a DSLAM monitors your traffic
and sets a Bandwidth. You are throttled so check the bandwidth verison is offering you. Cable
usually allows for faster downloads but slower uploads. DSL varies alot so double checkit. The
only restriction on the NIC is that it supports 10mb and is on the hardware compat list. (I use
3com cards) Security is very important due to the amount of idiots on the net these days! I would
suggest you read up on things like tripwire, Snort, ipchains and all the other goodies. Also dont
run any servers or services that you dont need!