[SLUG] Mdk Linux instability

From: Robert Eanes (rheanes3@yahoo.com)
Date: Fri Feb 28 2003 - 00:36:06 EST

I've been playing around with Mandrake 9.0 for a while
and have been generally pleased with it in a client
role. Something strange happened today.. I haven't
turn it on in 2 or 3 days and it was working fine
before, but today I flipped the switch, booted into
KDE and tried to start XMMS. The twirling hourglass
comes up on the task bar, and then just goes away.
Mozilla was next... the browser would come up fine,
but the newsgroups would crash it.. no error message
or anything.. just gone. Funny thing, though, I could
get XMMS to run by starting it from a terminal
session. Close the session, and XMMS goes away. The
icon for XMMS was executing "soundwrapper".. really
not up on the details of all that goes into the KDE
desktop systems so I'm at a research and troubleshoot
stage in trying to solve this. Has anyone had this
kind of trouble? And, what was the trouble finally
determined to be?

Thanks,
Rob