Re: [SLUG] Lindows Update

From: steve (steve@itcom.net)
Date: Wed Mar 05 2003 - 01:49:21 EST

On Thursday 27 February 2003 21:51, Paul M Foster wrote:
> I wrote a while back that I had bought a Lindows machine, and
> never really let everyone know how I'd solved the "problems" with
> it. So here goes.

 snip

> Paul M. Foster

That's a good review and I liked the fixes.

My difficulty with such "below grade" boxes is that you will outgrow
them sooo fast. Then the Michaels idea of jumping on the bandwagon
and make money on Linux is not for anyones good except his. Which
would had been OK if you got something decent. You get what you pay
for.

For $250 you can have a decent m/b with 1.8G CPU, case and 256MB
RAM. Seems much better investment than sub G speed. Even though you
need another harddisk to complete it.

F.ex. I have bunch (~20) of almost brand new IBM's (as in hardly
used) 600 MHx PIII's. They have 128 MB or 64 with a Windows
license. Builtin 10/100 NIC from Intel, soundcard and 8 MB video
card. Keyboard and mice too. They cost less too. Runs any distro
fine that I've tested (but then again it's IBM). They are reliable
for many years to come, but without a specific need it seems hard
to justify as the technology is so old.

I have a bone to pick with Michael and his business model as he's
taking advantage of the un-educated buyers. OK it's Walmart, but
still... At least they offer two weeks to return it. Let's hop it
does not create too much of a bad reputation for Linux.

--

Steve ______________________________________________________ (This sig has been left open for your imagination.)