Re: [SLUG] two more Debian questions.

From: Matt Miller (mmiller1@mptotalcare.com)
Date: Wed Mar 05 2003 - 09:36:07 EST

On Wed, 2003-03-05 at 06:08, Mike Manchester wrote:
> I installed Woody on my Thinkpad 760XL but there appears to be no sound
> modules. I found on the internet where you need to add sb.o to the
> /etc/modules, but I can't find sb.o anywhere on my system. How do I get
> that installed?

Did you look in /lib/modules/`uname -r`/kernel/drivers/ ?
What happens when you do the following?:
    # insmod sb

> Also. I've read where Debian has a stable, testing and unstable. How
> does one go from stable to testing? I'm sure there is a web site you
> need to configure in dselect, does anyone know what it is? Or can you
> just use apt-get to go from stable to testing? Like maybe apt-get
> testing?

Edit your /etc/apt/sources.list and add the following:

    deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian testing main contrib non-free
    deb http://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US testing/non-US main
    contrib non-free

Comment out any references to stable with the exception to security
updates. You will need a active net connection to do the next part.

Then:

    # apt-get update
    # apt-get dist-upgrade

Depending on your connection, this will take anywhere from 1/2 hour to
??

--

Matt Miller Systems Administrator MP TotalCare gpg public key id: 08BC7B06

-- The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time, with the blood of patriots and tyrants. -- Jefferson