Re: [SLUG] two more Debian questions.

From: Syd Alsobrook (syd@ittagteam.com)
Date: Wed Mar 05 2003 - 09:23:39 EST

On Wednesday 05 March 2003 06:08, Mike Manchester wrote:
> I installed Woody on my Thinkpad 760XL but there appears to be no sound
> modules. I found on the internet where you need to add sb.o to the
> /etc/modules, but I can't find sb.o anywhere on my system. How do I get
> that installed?

I got the alsa-source package, it will put a source tar.gz in your /usr/src
directory. Unpacking the tar will give you /usr/src/modules/alsa-driver,
compile from there and install.

> Also. I've read where Debian has a stable, testing and unstable. How
> does one go from stable to testing? I'm sure there is a web site you
> need to configure in dselect, does anyone know what it is? Or can you
> just use apt-get to go from stable to testing? Like maybe apt-get
> testing?

I have attached my apt sources.list which will give you access to all debian
packages plus some others. You also want the preferences and apt.conf files.
The preferences file ensures that you don't upgrade a package unless you want
to and the apt.conf file increases apts cache-limit which will be need with
the large number of packages you will be looking at.

Going to testing is as easy as `apt-get -t testing upgrade` although you might
have to run through it a few times.

All of this comes with the standard disclaimer: This may not be the best way
or the right way of doing things, but it works for me.

Syd

--
Protect your privacy.

"The things you own end up owning you." -- Fight Club