Re: [SLUG] Wine/IE6

From: Kwan Lowe (kwan@digitalhermit.com)
Date: Wed Mar 12 2003 - 16:51:11 EST

On Wed, 2003-03-12 at 16:03, Kenneth W Hansen wrote:
[snip]
> First problem: The core part of our business is run
> over the web on a SQL server. I'm not real well versed
> with web pages and such, so I can't be real specific.
> However, after trying some things on my own, and
> finally talking with the individual who set it up, the
> whole thing is designed to be run with IE6.I've tried
> Mozilla and Opera, and can't get the pages to load
> correctly. I've not yet tried to use Wine, but will
> see if I can figure it out this weekend, and get IE to
> run on Mandrake.

> Here's my question: Are there any legalities or
> licensing restrictions put in place by MS that will
> cause problems if we were to use IE6 on a Linux box
> commercially?

There's at least one commercial company (codeweavers) that allows IE6 to
run on non-M$ platforms. They haven't been sued yet, AFAIK. I searched
around on the Microsoft site but they don't seem to display the license
unless you do the installation.

> Also, are there any other Linux-compatible browsers
> that may provide more "IE6-like" functionally? I don't
> know if this is a Java function, or what. Sorry I
> can't be more specific. As I said, this is a little
> outside of my area of expertise.

Netscape, Opera, Konqueror all seem to work fine with
standards-compliant html. Finding out if it's java related is of
importance. Java will work fine with Netscape and Mozilla from my
personal experience. Opera and Konqueror almost certainly support it.

The next question: What is wrong with the pages that you're trying to
load? Do you see any errors (missing graphics, javascript warnings)?

Is it just a rendering problem (text not aligned correctly)? In this
case, you can try changing the "user agent" string to something else
such as "Internet Explorer" for that particular domain. It's possible
that the server is serving up a different page for non-IE browsers.

If you're having problems with forms you can try verifying your cookie
acceptance and javascript policy.

Now for a rant: My recommendation would be to fix the broken server
that's pushing out non-compliant pages if at all possible. This will
make your deployment much more flexible and prevent lock-in to that
particular version of IE. It will almost certainly save money in the
future. HTML should be browser-agnostic.