[SLUG] Wine/IE6

From: Kenneth W Hansen (khansen46@yahoo.com)
Date: Wed Mar 12 2003 - 16:03:15 EST

I have been harping on my company to at least look at
Linux as a money-saver for new computers as we start
replacing some of the existing ones. As of present,
they haven't really wanted to listen to it. For my own
benefit, and the sake of learning Linux, I've been
playing around with it on my own, to make sure
everything we have will work with Linux.

First problem: The core part of our business is run
over the web on a SQL server. I'm not real well versed
with web pages and such, so I can't be real specific.
However, after trying some things on my own, and
finally talking with the individual who set it up, the
whole thing is designed to be run with IE6.I've tried
Mozilla and Opera, and can't get the pages to load
correctly. I've not yet tried to use Wine, but will
see if I can figure it out this weekend, and get IE to
run on Mandrake.
Here's my question: Are there any legalities or
licensing restrictions put in place by MS that will
cause problems if we were to use IE6 on a Linux box
commercially?
Also, are there any other Linux-compatible browsers
that may provide more "IE6-like" functionally? I don't
know if this is a Java function, or what. Sorry I
can't be more specific. As I said, this is a little
outside of my area of expertise.

Thanks
Ken