[SLUG] Question on Debian and apt-get

From: Mike Manchester (mchester@pobox.com)
Date: Fri Mar 21 2003 - 06:15:23 EST

Is it possible to get a list of packages available for install? Say I
want to list all the packages for vim. I know dselect does this but for
some reason everytime I use dselect I trash my system. It seems dselect
remembers things longer than I do. I had install xfree 3.3 and along 4.1
and decided to uninstall xfree 3.3 well dselect uninstalled everything
associated with X for some reason. I couldn't figure out how to restore
everything because the xfree 3.3 was no longer showing up, so I
reinstalled for the 8th time. I'm bound and determined to get a working
debian system. The other think with dselect. I wish there was away in
dselect to list what it thinks it's going to do before you tell it to
install.

With Redhat I could while in a console use the mouse to select text on
the screen and paste to the command line. How can I do this with Debian?

Thanks
Mike M.