Re: [SLUG] Question on Debian and apt-get

From: Paul M Foster (paulf@quillandmouse.com)
Date: Sat Mar 22 2003 - 02:33:28 EST

On Fri, Mar 21, 2003 at 06:15:23AM -0500, Mike Manchester wrote:

> Is it possible to get a list of packages available for install? Say I
> want to list all the packages for vim. I know dselect does this but for
> some reason everytime I use dselect I trash my system. It seems dselect
> remembers things longer than I do. I had install xfree 3.3 and along 4.1
> and decided to uninstall xfree 3.3 well dselect uninstalled everything
> associated with X for some reason. I couldn't figure out how to restore
> everything because the xfree 3.3 was no longer showing up, so I
> reinstalled for the 8th time. I'm bound and determined to get a working
> debian system. The other think with dselect. I wish there was away in
> dselect to list what it thinks it's going to do before you tell it to
> install.

Dselect tells you what it's going to do and then asks you to okay it
before going on. You can stop it then if you like. Also, be careful how
you answer dependency questions in dselect. Eliminating a major package
on which others depend may bring you to a screen where the other
dependent packages show up. Dselect remembers things forever unless you
hack it.

Paul