Re: [SLUG] Question on Debian and apt-get

From: Levi Bard (levi@bard.sytes.net)
Date: Fri Mar 21 2003 - 11:46:13 EST

> Is it possible to get a list of packages available for install?
> Say I want to list all the packages for vim.

apt-cache search vim

> I know dselect does this but for
> some reason everytime I use dselect I trash my system. It seems
> dselect
> remembers things longer than I do. I had install xfree 3.3 and
> along 4.1
> and decided to uninstall xfree 3.3 well dselect uninstalled
> everything
> associated with X for some reason. I couldn't figure out how to
> restore
> everything because the xfree 3.3 was no longer showing up, so I
> reinstalled for the 8th time. I'm bound and determined to get a
> working
> debian system. The other think with dselect. I wish there was
> away in
> dselect to list what it thinks it's going to do before you tell
> it to
> install.

I'm a debian user, and I hate dselect, I never use it. If I have a simple
operation to perform, like installing/removing a single package, or
running an update/upgrade, then I use apt-get from the command line.
Otherwise I use gnome-apt.

To get apt-get to display what it's going to do before doing so, you can
pass --just-print, as in `apt-get --just-print install vim`

> With Redhat I could while in a console use the mouse to select
> text on
> the screen and paste to the command line. How can I do this with
> Debian?

Install and configure gpm. I think apt may do most of the configuration
for you.

Levi