Re: [SLUG] Deleted system.map

From: SpamFree (SpamFree@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Thu Mar 27 2003 - 09:06:32 EST

On Wednesday March 26 2003 10:38 pm, you wrote:
> I'm sure this would make a great episode for for Worst Case Scenario, or at
> least Jackass... But in my eternal struggle to accomplish what no other
> intelligent sane person would do, I managed to delete
> /boot/modules.info-2.4.18.27.8.0. (RH 8.0) Please don't ask how, it's a
> long, boring, and embarrasing story... How can I re-create this file? I've
> tried reinstalling the kernel rpm, but rpm just hangs.. I've recompiled the
> kernel, but can't seem to re-create this file. Any ideas? I don't think I
> can reboot this system, although I assume that if everything was compiled
> into the kernel, without the use of modules, I may not even need that
> file... Thanks...
>
> Doug

You are talking about two different files here system.map and modules-info. I
don't know which one you are really missing or if you are missing both. But,
here's what to do for each file.

Since you have recompiled the kernel a new system.map.version should have been
created in your source directory /usr/src/redhat/SOURCES. Copy the file to
your /boot directory and correct the system.map sym link to point to the
/boot/system.map.version file.

With regard to modules-info, you should run the command "make dep clean
install modules modules_install" when compiling the kernel. This will create
the modules-info-version file and should install it in /boot. If it does not
install it. simply copy the file from your /usr/src/redhat/SOURCES directory
and update the modules-info sym link to point to this new version of the
file.

http://www.linuxsurveys.com