[SLUG] Question on find a provider that works with Linux

From: Mike Manchester (mchester@pobox.com)
Date: Fri Mar 28 2003 - 06:04:48 EST

OK, I know this had been asked a number of times. But this is a more
general question. Not relating to just the Tampa Bay area.

My son is moving to Colorado and the Apartment they are renting gave
them two choices for high speed internet. They can get AT&T (COMCAST)
Broadband, (the Apartment manager said that it is about as slow as dial
up in the evenings when everyone comes home) or they can get QWEST DSL,
but they can only have MSN as their isp, because QWEST has a contract
with MSN. Isn't it possible for them to get others? Can apartments be so
selective or are they just thinking these people are Windows users and
need all the help they can get :)

I always thought that you could use any ISP with any DSL connection? I
use Rapid systems with Verizon here in FL. I can't believe that a DSL
provider would require you to use MSN. But maybe that explains why the
AT&T Broadband is so slow in the evenings.And it is Colorado it's not
the Peoples Republic of Boulder, but it's close.

Another friend of mine lives close to where they are going to live and
he's Apt complex and has AT&T Broadband and loves it.

So what should they be looking for as far as providers/ISP's to support
linux, He really doesn't want to go back to Windows.

Do all the Broadband/?DSL's use Ethernet on the client side? Do any
require special Windows only software to connect to the internet. I know
some of them supply startup kits for Windows but that mostly sets up the
network settings. But I'm not versed enough on highspeed to know if
special software is ever required to use it, like it was when I was
useing dial up.

Thanks
Mike M.