Re: [SLUG] Question on find a provider that works with Linux

From: Levi Bard (levi@bard.sytes.net)
Date: Sun Mar 30 2003 - 19:44:15 EST

> My son is moving to Colorado and the Apartment they are renting gave
> them two choices for high speed internet. They can get AT&T (COMCAST)
> Broadband, (the Apartment manager said that it is about as slow as dial
> up in the evenings when everyone comes home) or they can get QWEST DSL,
> but they can only have MSN as their isp, because QWEST has a contract
> with MSN. Isn't it possible for them to get others? Can apartments be so
> selective or are they just thinking these people are Windows users and
> need all the help they can get :)

My apartment complex has a contract with Time War...err, bright house networks, and they are the only cable provider I can use. They let me choose among roadrunner, earthlink, and the others as "ISPs," but since TW/bhn lays down the law no matter who's the nominal ISP, it's really an empty gesture. For phone service, had I any, I'd be required to use Verizon - I'm not really sure how the DSL provider/isp service would work with them, since the cost is so prohibitive that I didn't check into it more deeply than doing a surface scan of rates.

Levi