Re: [SLUG] Florida's Super-DMCA bill

From: steve (steve@itcom.net)
Date: Sun Mar 30 2003 - 18:28:25 EST

Well I just finished reading the bill and I don't see it quite the
same way. It's clearly out to stop illegal use of...

You don't hide source or destination with NAT as your Internet
address is still there. In fact your reserved IP address is useless
for lawenforcement as it is not routeable.

It infact allows for legal use these devices of if you are
"authorized" or providing a service. I forget the exact wording on
the latter, but it leaves it squarely to the provider to authorize
the use of firewalls. Don't just read what it stops, as it goes on
to define all parts of the bill, including the exclusions.

I read a couple of the others too and they have the same allowences.
Now if you don't have this authorisation you're in trouble. Also,
the FL bill won't take effect until October I think it said.

--

Steve ______________________________________________________ (This sig has been left open for your imagination.)