Re: [SLUG] Lycoris for a friend

From: Kenneth W Hansen (khansen46@yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Mar 31 2003 - 09:38:34 EST

I haven't tried Xandros, mostly because they don't
offer a free download. At this time, I'm not in the
market to pay for an OS.
Elx was very easy to install, and extremely
user-friendly. I had no complaints about it. I tried
it out when I was first getting into Linux and trying
out a lot of different versions. I never went back to
it, though I don't really have a reason why.
I installed Lycoris on an AMD 350mhz system but never
was able to get the display better than 256 colors (TX
Pro mb with integrated video - SIS 530 I think). I
didn't play with it too much. I haven't been able to
get it installed on any other computers (all older
PCs).
I tried SuSE 9 PRO. It seems like a really good one,
but it absolutely crushed my Slot 1 400mhz system (256
ram). I'm anxious to try it out again when I get a
newer computer this summer.
Sorry, I'm rambling again....
I can vouch for Elx as being a good one for a Linux
newbie. I found Mandrake to be an easy install, and
very user-friendly. That's the one I settled on. I
just downloaded 9.1, and will be trying it out later
this week.

Ken