[SLUG] Averatec laptop and RH 9.0

From: jeremy bowers (ferret@jeremybowers.com)
Date: Mon Apr 28 2003 - 17:37:14 EDT

I work in the computer dept. @ the St. Pete bestbuy, and I purchased an
averatec laptop there last week.

I am running RH 9.0 with success. (composing this email in pine right now)

Tricks: Boot with the nopcmcia nofb options when installing. On first
boot, enter interactive startup and say "no" to pcmcia. Chkconfig pcmcia
off at the first opportunity. This is the only hardware not working so
far.

Hardware: Video is a sis630. Lan is sis900. DVD drive works with xine and
ogle. The Buslink usb pen drive (128 Mb) works as well, and there's a boot
from usb option in the bios. Sound is ac'97. X started with no hitches.

Issues: Must immediately calibrate the battery. I'm getting 2.5h with
normal use. Keyboard is a funny size and shape. Spacebar must be pounded
to register. Pcmcia won't work in RH, does work in Debian (knoppix).

Good: Very quiet. Screen is bright and high contrast. Laptop is light, and
cheap. (799 with some rebates @ bestbuy)

I know our store sold all 17 we were sent on sunday. I think rainchecks
are the only option, but I haven't heard what our strategy is going to be.
I presume it's a similar situation in Clearwater and South Tampa. I know
that bestbuy.com is out of them, and we were unable to order them as of
this morning.

Email me with questions, or come by the Tyrone/66th st./22nd ave. best buy
and ask in person. on aim, I'm jbowersrunslinux.

PS: Averratec is Sotec. I found a usenet post from 94 about a sotec 386
laptop, so they've been around a while.