[SLUG] Directory structure question

From: cpace@tampabay.rr.com
Date: Thu May 08 2003 - 20:50:36 EDT

Ok, here goes...

Ever since I have been playing with Linux I have always created 2 partitions when setting
up a system,
one for swap and the other root (/). On my laptop I currently have 4 partitions as
follows:

hda1 NTFS Windows 2000 (Barely used but there in case needed)
hda2 Swap Shared between 2 linux distros
hda3 Reiser FS Mandrake
hda4 Reiser FS Knoppix

I have both Mandrake and Knoppix so I can play back and forth. I have decided to put RH 9
(since I
will be using it a lot more in the near future) and keep Knoppix. I believe that what I
want to do is not
only possible but also recommended. I want to make a common /home directory that both
distro's can
use. I believe what will need to be done is:

hda1 NTFS Windows 2000 (Barely used but there in case needed)
hda2 Swap Shared between 2 linux distros
hda3 Reiser FS Mandrake
hda4 Reiser FS Knoppix
hda5 Reiser FS /home shared by both distro's

The only problem that I can forsee is that /hda5 will actually have to be a logical
partition since you can
only have 4 primary partitions. Has anyone done this? I know what the pro's are but are
there any
con's I should be concerned with.

Thanks for any assistance :)

Pace