Re: [SLUG] Directory structure question

From: cpace@tampabay.rr.com
Date: Thu May 08 2003 - 22:30:55 EDT

> Actually, if i'm not mistaken, hda4 should be your extended partition and
> encompass hda5 and hda6 as logical partitions. Just be sure to make the
> partitions sized appropriately for future upgrades (measure twice and cut
> once).
>
> hda1 Windows 2000
> hda2 RedHat 9
> hda3 Knoppix
> hda4 Extended
> hda5 /home
> hda6 Swap (approximately 1.5 times the amount of ram you will have in 6
> months)
>
> As this goes, I personally don't see any issues. If left up to the
> installation, the distro's typically create one primary partition and all
> other logical drives in the extended partition. I see it better to take
> control and frame the drive as needed.
>
> Chuck

Thanks for the quick response and I believe that is how I will do it. Two quick questions
though...

First, I noticed that you put the swap partition last and I have seen this before. I was
always under
the impression it was better to put it first because if you utilize swap, you want the
seek/search to be
as fast as possible and therefore would put it in the beginning of the partition.

Second, is there any recourse in speed for putting swap as a logical partition? I might
be confused on
differences between logical and primary partitions and hence the question.

Thanks again for the quick response

Pace