Re: [SLUG] considering open sourcing my app

From: Paul M Foster (paulf@quillandmouse.com)
Date: Thu May 15 2003 - 18:32:55 EDT

On Thu, May 15, 2003 at 10:20:09AM -0400, Russ Wright wrote:

> Well
>
> I've considered all that everyone wrote and I believe I will open source
> my project shortly. I need to make a few fixes that recently became
> apparent and I'd be embarrassed to open it up without fixing the bug.
> :-)
>
> So, How does one create an open source project?
>
> What are the steps?

Tack the GPL (or other such license) onto your project and give it to
someone. Voila, Open Source.

Okay, you may want to put it on some website somewhere for download. You
can probably just put it on SourceForge. I think all you have to do is
sign up, answer some questions, and upload it.

If you really want to do things the way everyone else does them, find a
small project on SourceForge that's GPL, download and unpack it. See how
they've set up the wording for the license, the READMEs and the like.
I've got a tiny project up there called "dbfdump". Download that and see
how I did it (well, it uses the Artistic License, but you can substitute
the GPL for that).

Paul