Re: [SLUG] Good technical legal counsel?

From: Paul M Foster (paulf@quillandmouse.com)
Date: Thu May 15 2003 - 18:41:35 EDT

On Thu, May 15, 2003 at 01:49:30AM -0400, Eric Bravick wrote:

<snip>

> 2) Hopefully you are functioning under an S Corporation or an LLC/LLP,
> in which case your liability is limited. If something does happen, tank
> the company and they get nothing. (Every company does this... that's
> why companies were invented!) If you aren't, bad Russ! Stop it right
> now, and I'll give you a good lawyer who will do the whole process
> reasonably well and inexpensively for you.

Good advice (to be a Sub S), but you can do this yourself. I did, many
years ago. I don't even recall how I did it, but I think you can
probably just call the Florida Dept of State, and they'll tell you/send
you want forms to fill out. Cost is $150 per year.

Also, I once considered incorporating in Delaware, which I hear is very
friendly to corporations. I didn't because it complicates doing business
in Florida. You still have to pay Florida, so I don't think there's much
benefit to incorporating elsewhere.

> 3) *GOOD* technical lawyers are extremely expensive. Most likely, you
> will only be able to afford a hack. If they can afford someone good,
> you are done for, because the courts have no idea what is going on.

Judging by what you've said, you likely don't need a technical lawyer.
Just a contract lawyer.

Paul (IANAL)