Re: [SLUG] Good technical legal counsel?

From: Eric Bravick (ebravick@nks.net)
Date: Thu May 15 2003 - 01:49:30 EDT

I can give you the following advise, assuming, of course, you follow the
link at the bottom of this email and agree to my legal disclaimer! I'm
obviously not a lawyer... and I'm not representing that I can give
legal advise. However, I have been in this field my whole life, and I
have both sued and been sued many times.

1) Don't answer any questions in public forums like "who is this guy and
what's going on." Its only going to damage your case.

2) Hopefully you are functioning under an S Corporation or an LLC/LLP,
in which case your liability is limited. If something does happen, tank
the company and they get nothing. (Every company does this... that's
why companies were invented!) If you aren't, bad Russ! Stop it right
now, and I'll give you a good lawyer who will do the whole process
reasonably well and inexpensively for you.

3) *GOOD* technical lawyers are extremely expensive. Most likely, you
will only be able to afford a hack. If they can afford someone good,
you are done for, because the courts have no idea what is going on.

4) Most likely, tell this guy "sue me... in fact, get in line, pal..."
That's what I tell everyone. Its very liberating. Its very hard for
the plaintiff to get anything, unless you did EVERYTHING wrong and you
actually have lots of money. I'm assuming, of course, that this all
happened in Florida. If not, that opinion could radically change. (In
Mass, for example, its much easier for the Plaintiff to win and do
really bad things to you for a really long time, like, until you die.)

Russ Wright wrote:

> Hi all
>
> I'm in need of a some legal counsel who understands technical issues. I
> did some work for a man and now he is threatening to sue me because I
> wont fix it for free forever.... sheesh...
>
> If any of you have some recommendations for legal counsel who understand
> technical issues I'm willing to listen.
>
> --
> Russ Wright <rwrigh10@tampabay.rr.com>

--   Eric Bravick, Engineering Shock Trooper    --
---       Networked Knowledge Systems          ---
----   P.O. Box 20772 Tampa, FL. 33622-0772   ----
----- (813)594-0060 Voice  (813)594-0045 FAX -----
------          ebravick@nks.net            ------
-----   This email bound by the following:   -----