Re: [SLUG] Good technical legal counsel?

From: Russ Wright (rwrigh10@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Thu May 15 2003 - 09:50:37 EDT

My comment in line below:

On Thu, 2003-05-15 at 01:49, Eric Bravick wrote:
> I can give you the following advise, assuming, of course, you follow the
> link at the bottom of this email and agree to my legal disclaimer! I'm
> obviously not a lawyer... and I'm not representing that I can give
> legal advise. However, I have been in this field my whole life, and I
> have both sued and been sued many times.
>
> 1) Don't answer any questions in public forums like "who is this guy and
> what's going on." Its only going to damage your case.

I won't say a word about this person until the claim is settled.

> 2) Hopefully you are functioning under an S Corporation or an LLC/LLP,
> in which case your liability is limited. If something does happen, tank
> the company and they get nothing. (Every company does this... that's
> why companies were invented!) If you aren't, bad Russ! Stop it right
> now, and I'll give you a good lawyer who will do the whole process
> reasonably well and inexpensively for you.

Yes please send me this information. I did this job a little side gig
and I am not incorporated. <sticks out this hand for a good slapping>

> 3) *GOOD* technical lawyers are extremely expensive. Most likely, you
> will only be able to afford a hack. If they can afford someone good,
> you are done for, because the courts have no idea what is going on.

This is a small company with limited resources. I think he is just a
lot of hot air but I want to be prepared.

> 4) Most likely, tell this guy "sue me... in fact, get in line, pal..."
> That's what I tell everyone. Its very liberating. Its very hard for
> the plaintiff to get anything, unless you did EVERYTHING wrong and you
> actually have lots of money. I'm assuming, of course, that this all
> happened in Florida. If not, that opinion could radically change. (In
> Mass, for example, its much easier for the Plaintiff to win and do
> really bad things to you for a really long time, like, until you die.)

This did happen in Florida.