Re: [SLUG] considering open sourcing my app

From: R.G. Mayhue (r.g.mayhue@verizon.net)
Date: Sun May 18 2003 - 14:02:34 EDT

On Sunday 18 May 2003 10:14 am, Steven Buehler wrote:

> ---[Quoting...]---
> I used the word *distro* in my repy because I believe in your example above
> you picked the name SuSE because you must not like the idea that SuSE
> charges
> for their distro and makes no ISO's available for download. Although I
> personally do not use SuSE myself, I must at least say that they have every
> right under the GPL to do what they do.
> ---[End Quote]---
>
> Actually, you *can* do a network-based install of SuSE and have the
> installer download the packages from a mirror site for no charge; you just
> don't get the proprietary stuff that they're not allowed to provide for
> free.

Yes, but as I said, they make no ISO's available for download. At least not
for the current version if they do at all. Most other commcerial Linux
venders do. I say most because some only make ISO's available during beta
testing cycles. AFAIK SuSE doesn't even do that. Not a big deal to me. I use
Gentoo anyway :)

I've tried the SuSE FTP installs a couple of times in the past and never
really had good luck with it. Mostly things not being installed right and X
related stuff mainly because SuSE does sort of a pre-install with a reboot to
get X going. Seemed to always fsck things up during the FTP install process.

I might be going out on a limb here but it seemed to me at the time as if they
fsck it up intentionally so it wouldn't work right and you end up buying the
release anyway. But then emotions were running kinda high when it didn't work
right and I'm not ruling out the fact that it could have just been me in all
my infinite wisdom fscking it up. I'm certinally not beyond any of that :))

Distro's like Debian and Gentoo seem to get the downloadable install thing
right because they'er non-commercial community oriented distro's and as such
they've been designed with that install method in mind from the get go.

<shameless Gentoo plug>
I've been using Gentoo daily for well over a year now and it seems to be
headed in the right direction for me. It has had it's ups and downs but I
just love the flexibility Gentoo gives me when building and installing the
system. Plus with Portage keeping it up to date is a snap! Its not for
everyone though. Gentoo is a young distro and still has plenty of growing
pains. To me though, its all worth it :)
</shameless Gentoo plug>

--
R.G. Mayhue
r.g.mayhue@verizon.net