RE: [SLUG] Brandon Area Broadband

From: Levi Bard (levi@bard.sytes.net)
Date: Mon May 19 2003 - 08:59:15 EDT

>> With Road Runner are you allowed to run a home network
>> legally or do you have to hide it?
>
> "Officially", no. In practice, they don't care as long as you're not
> consuming the entire neighborhood's bandwidth. You certainly shouldn't be
> running a web server or something like that off your cable connection
> (although I've done it sometimes for special purposes using a dynamic DNS
> connector, when I know volume would be low anyway).

In my experience, they don't know or care about the volume of bandwidth
being consumed. What they do is monitor ports that are earmarked as
"enterprise services" (25,80,110,143,...). So, if you're using 500k/week
for mail traffic, you're higher on their radar than if you use 128k/s for
something like filesharing, streaming media, game server, etc.

> I have two computers here hooked up to a Linksys Cable/DSL router and no
> one's complained. On the R/R end they only see the one IP address being
> used by the router. Technically if you're hooking up more than one system
> they want you to buy an additional IP address for each computer (they make
> money that way).
>
> They also don't like you using your regular cable connection for business
> purpose (i.e., logging on to the corporate network with a VPN
> application). On rare occasion they've been known to politely ask such
> users to consider upgrading to Business Class (which is almost $90 a
> month, but you get fixed IP and more bandwidth for the price).

I've known them to ask not so politely, and not just for "business
purposes." Incidentally, using VPN to get to your corporate network from
home should NOT go under their "Business Class" plans - what's next,
making customers upgrade for checking their corporate email from home? If
you were running a corporate VPN network out of your home, then an plan
change request would be reasonable.

Levi