Re: [SLUG] Brandon Area Broadband

From: Steven Buehler (sanctuaryweb@hotmail.com)
Date: Mon May 19 2003 - 09:10:23 EDT

On Monday 19 May 2003 08:59 am, you wrote:
> In my experience, they don't know or care about the volume of bandwidth
> being consumed. What they do is monitor ports that are earmarked as
> "enterprise services" (25,80,110,143,...). So, if you're using 500k/week
> for mail traffic, you're higher on their radar than if you use 128k/s for
> something like filesharing, streaming media, game server, etc.

I had a colleague who is using residential cable modem and they sent him
emails complaining that he was consuming too much bandwidth (it was because
his system had caught a virus which was sending voluminous amounts of
spontaneous email, and he didn't know about it). RoadRunner was kind enough
to advise him of what was causing the excess traffic, and he was able to
virus scan and eliminate the problem.

SWB