Re: [SLUG] Brandon Area Broadband

From: Levi Bard (levi@bard.sytes.net)
Date: Mon May 19 2003 - 11:57:30 EDT

> I had a colleague who is using residential cable modem and they sent him
> emails complaining that he was consuming too much bandwidth (it was
> because
> his system had caught a virus which was sending voluminous amounts of
> spontaneous email, and he didn't know about it). RoadRunner was kind
> enough
> to advise him of what was causing the excess traffic, and he was able to
> virus scan and eliminate the problem.

Here? I know someone who uses gobs of bandwidth (up and down) on the
sorts of things I mentioned previously - filesharing, gaming, streaming
media. However, nothing was mentioned until he set up a sendmail install
for his own use (read: 3 emails/day). Then they gave him a tripartite
ultimatum: shut it down, or upgrade to business class, or we'll shut down
your connection. So, he took down the server, and they're happy as clams,
although his bandwidth consumption has not changed.

I guess it's just not consistent.

Levi