[SLUG] Some minor Bluetooth advice

From: Steven Buehler (sanctuaryweb@hotmail.com)
Date: Mon May 19 2003 - 09:30:16 EDT

I've got Bluetooth working in Mandrake LInux 9.1 on my IBM ThinkPad 380Z using
the Bluez contrib RPMs and the 2.4.21-0.13mdk kernel that's standard with
ML9.1, but I've hit a little snag on making it useful. It's not giving me
enough time to enter the PIN to pair up with the laptop on /dev/rfcomm0 (the
port I set up for it). Everything else works perfectly.

For example, I'll use minicom to check the device directly, and it will
attempt to pair with the phone, but within a second it complains about
/dev/rfcomm0 not existing and bails before I can accept and punch in the PIN
on the device side. It appears to have a VERY SHORT timeout period.

Is there a way to lengthen this timeout period (say, 5 - 10 seconds instead of
1) so the devices have a chance to pair before it bails out? The idea here
is to be able to perhaps either ssh to my home desktop or check email on the
road in Linux as well as in Windows 2K (where I can connect and ssh just
fine).

The setup for this is:
- IBM ThinkPad 380Z laptop (233MHz PII/MMX, 96MB RAM, 20GB HD w/ EZ-Drive 9.11
Universal)
- Belkin F8T003 Bluetooth USB Adapter
- Sony Ericsson T68is GSM/GRPS Phone (same as the T68i, just designed
specifically for AT&T Wireless)
- Mandrake Linux 9.1 3-CD Download Edition (Kernel 2.4.21-0.13mdk) w/ Bluez
Bluetooth libraries and applicaitons installed (from the
Mandrake-devel/contrib tree).

--
Steven W. Buehler | <steven@sanctuaryweb.org>