Re: [SLUG] Sarasota meeting agenda Wed. night

From: Dave Lowe (dave@davelowe.us)
Date: Mon May 19 2003 - 17:04:28 EDT

Robin 'Roblimo' Miller wrote:

> That's the point, Matt. All those manpages, HOWTOs, READMEs, etc. are
> written for you, not for some poor schmuck who wants to get SuSe or
> Mandrake installed, figure out how to add plugins to Mozilla and make
> the "junk" email filters work, set margins and tabs in OpenOffice,
> crop a jpg image, and wonders why he or she needs to type in a
> password to install a program.

Therein lies the problem. Linux has matured over the past few years to
be a robust solution for the desktop. We now, finally, have true
drag/drop and point/click functionality.

One of my longest complaints was the difficulty of installation of
software, the dependency issues used to give me hassles. I started using
apt-get and Synaptic for updates and new software where possible, it
does usually obtain all the dependencies when it can.

Mozilla has gotten better, I can do most everything I can do with
Microsoft. All I lack are a few java classes won't run correctly. and
the occasional Director file. All other plugins, even Windows Media and
Quick Time, all run fine (thanks to mplayer).

The book sounds like a great idea. If you need any brain picking, or
want to have your work bounced off of an "average Linux user", just let
me know.

--

Regards,

Dave Lowe A+ Certified, baby! Tampa Bay, FL