Re: [SLUG] Postfix+procmail+spamassassin

From: SpamFree (SpamFree@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Thu May 22 2003 - 17:38:17 EDT

On Thursday May 22 2003 03:20 pm, you wrote:

> procmail: [4990] Thu May 22 15:14:37 2003
> procmail: Match on "^Subject.*\[!!THIS IS SPAM!!\]"
> procmail: Locking "/var/spool/mail/spam.lock"
> procmail: Error while writing to
> "/var/spool/mail/_-NB.dGSz-.mail.dkoobs.com"
> procmail: Lock failure on "/var/spool/mail/spam.lock"
> procmail: Assigning "LASTFOLDER=/var/spool/mail/spam"
> procmail: Opening "/var/spool/mail/spam"
> procmail: Acquiring kernel-lock
> procmail: Notified comsat: "dkoobs@0:/var/spool/mail/spam"
> From Doug.Koobs@reptron.com Thu May 22 15:14:37 2003
> Subject: [!!THIS IS SPAM!!] Home Based Business for Grownups
> Folder: /var/spool/mail/spam 5398
>

> I have some questions about these entries on the spam message.
>
> Why is it trying to write to a file _-NB.dGSz-.mail.dkoobs.com?
> Why did the lock fail?
> What does the "notified comsat" mean, and why does it notify dkoobs@0?
> Should I worry about any of these entries?
>
> Thanks Again!!!
>
> Doug

I have no idea what the _-NB.dGSz-.mail.dkoobs.com is all about, perhaps a
temporary file? I really don't know.

Most likely the lock failed due to permissions. Does procmail have the
necessary rights to read and write to the /var/spool/mail/ directory and all
the files that it contains? Check the group ownership/permissions and make
sure that procmail is a member of the group.

Comsat is a console based mail notification server that may or may not exist
on your system. Typically procmail notifies comsat telling comsat that mail
has arrived for which user dkoobs@ followed by the offset number for the
message 0: in the users mailbox /var/spool/mail/spam. If dkoobs is logged in
to the console and has used biff to choose to receive email notifications
comsat would have put a message on dkoobs console screen indicating the
arrival of new mail.

Don't worry about comsat. I also wouldn't worry about the bizzare file name,
provided the mails are being delivered to the appropriate mailboxes. Changing
the group membership of procmail and or the /var/spool/mail/ directory
permissions should fix any remaining lock or file creation problems.

You're almost there.