Re: [SLUG] Mutex destroy failure: Device or resource busy

From: Mario Lombardo (mario@alienscience.com)
Date: Fri May 30 2003 - 16:25:13 EDT

OK, I tried some things, but it still doesn't work (replied below)...

On Friday 30 May 2003 09:38, you wrote:
> On Thu, 2003-05-29 at 20:13, Mario Lombardo wrote:
> > [dusty@baglady dusty]$ kword
> > Mutex destroy failure: Device or resource busy
> > [dusty@baglady dusty]$
>
> > Has anyone rectified this error? If so, how did you do it? Why does it
> > happen?
>
> No, but I have a few suggestions --
> As a normal user run:
>
> $ ldd `which kword`
>
> Make sure all linked libraries are accounted for. I believe if a linked
> library is missing it will say "Not Found". Root *may* have an
> LD_LIBRARY_PATH which differs from what is in your /etc/ld.so.conf.

ldd /usr/bin/kword
showed nothing broken

I ran printenv with the root login shell and there was no LD_LIBRARY_PATH

> Also, you could try running an strace on kword and look for any obvious
> errors like files missing or ?.

At first I thought the output was Greek, but then I looked and found the
following:

open("/usr/share/locale/en_US/LC_MESSAGES/libc.mo", O_RDONLY) = -1 ENOENT (No
such file or directory)
open("/usr/share/locale/en/LC_MESSAGES/libc.mo", O_RDONLY) = -1 ENOENT (No
such file or directory)
write(2, "Mutex destroy failure: Device or"..., 46Mutex destroy failure:
Device or resource busy) = 46

/usr/share/locale/en_US/LC_MESSAGES/libc.mo
doesn't exist. I'm going to submit this to dot.kde.org.

> Thirdly, you could try logging out of kde completely and go to a VC;
> remove any files owned by the normal user from /tmp.

I did this one anyway because I was sick of seeing crap in /tmp. I hope
that's not such a bad routine. Is it?

Thanks for the help! Any other ideas?

/mario