Re: [SLUG] Mutex destroy failure: Device or resource busy

From: Vernon (vsingleton@cfl.rr.com)
Date: Fri May 30 2003 - 17:45:36 EDT

Mario Lombardo wrote:

>I'm trying to run kword as a normal user using RedHat8.0, Celeron 900MHz, and
>512MB RAM. I tried to logout/login, reboot, and shutdown. Kword works
>perfectly as root, but I get the following error with a normal user:
>
>[dusty@baglady dusty]$ kword
>Mutex destroy failure: Device or resource busy
>[dusty@baglady dusty]$

I had a very similar problem before, where some programs worked fine as
root, but as users
did not ... When i blew away my /home/user/.kde and /home/user/.kderc
and then re-logged
into kde as "user" it worked fine. What i did (as root) was ...

# cd ~user
# mv .kde .kde_01
# mv .kderc .kderc_01
# reboot

So i did not really blow them away, just moved them. That way all
you'd have to do is move
the stuff back to revert. Or move over sub directories of which may be
missing after you try this,
if any (like mail). I am not sure where kmail stores its mail ... maybe
in .kderc, which may not be
pertinent here especially if you do not use kmail ... i digress ...

Another thing you might try, if that does not help is launching kword
with either "strace" or "ltrace",
which will trace either the system calls or the library calls,
respectively, which kword makes ...
These commands generate _lots_ of output and usually only the tails
(last 1000 lines or so) of
their outputs are useful for figuring out what calls are causing the
failure ... they also show errors
which may not be clear or present when simply running a program from the
command line.

To get an idea of what "strace" and "ltrace" give you ...
try looking a little bit at the output of the following commands:
"strace ls"
"ltrace ls"
I know it looks ugly, but do not be intimidated ...
That will just show the type of output you'll get when a command runs
without error. If kword fails
immediately then the output of the trace command should be short and you
should only have to
look at the last few hundred lines of its ouput to see errors.

I did not respond to your question immediately, hoping that someone
smarter than myself would
help you ... sorry for holding back.

Hope this helps.
Vernon