Re: [SLUG] SCO-Linux

From: Dylan William Hardison (dylanwh@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Fri Jun 06 2003 - 12:51:10 EDT

On Friday, June 06, 2003 at 11:37AM -0400, Levi Bard wrote:
> > http://www.pbs.org/cringely/pulpit/pulpit20030605.html
>
> [snip]
> Although, if they submit the source
> as evidence, doesn't that make it public domain?

I read somewhere, there are only a few things that make a ``work''
public domain. Either the copyright expires (Which, almost never happens
any more....), or it was created by a
government-employed person (I think the Expect language is because of
that), or the work is soo old that it just is in
the public domain (Like Shakespeare)...

I'm pretty sure showing the code to a judge or whatever would not make
it public domain.

Oh, also, I think you can't just say 'This thing is public domain', the closest
thing you can do is license it under an MIT/BSD license.

Source: Linux Journal's lawyer-column in the back of the magazine,
several months ago.

I could be wrong, but I really do remember reading that. :)

--
Always do right.  This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.
                -- Mark Twain