Re: [SLUG] SCO-Linux

From: Levi Bard (levi@bard.sytes.net)
Date: Fri Jun 06 2003 - 14:30:21 EDT

> I read somewhere, there are only a few things that make a ``work''
> public domain. Either the copyright expires (Which, almost never happens
> any more....), or it was created by a
> government-employed person (I think the Expect language is because of
> that), or the work is soo old that it just is in
> the public domain (Like Shakespeare)...
>
> I'm pretty sure showing the code to a judge or whatever would not make
> it public domain.
>
> Oh, also, I think you can't just say 'This thing is public domain', the
> closest
> thing you can do is license it under an MIT/BSD license.
>

> Source: Linux Journal's lawyer-column in the back of the magazine,
> several months ago.
>
> I could be wrong, but I really do remember reading that. :)

I read somewhere about a piece of code that was inadvertently admitted
into the public domain because it was entered into evidence, in a similar
situation. Apparently, either the article (now I can't remember/find it)
was mistaken or there was some critical difference in the circumstance
which is escaping me.

Levi