Re: [SLUG] SCO-Linux

From: Robin 'Roblimo' Miller (robin@roblimo.com)
Date: Fri Jun 06 2003 - 14:55:24 EDT

>I read somewhere about a piece of code that was inadvertently admitted
>into the public domain because it was entered into evidence, in a similar
>situation. Apparently, either the article (now I can't remember/find it)
>was mistaken or there was some critical difference in the circumstance
>which is escaping me.

Secret code and secret formulas -- and secret records, like lists of all
the bribes you gave Bushies to get your multi-million inheiritance tax-
free -- can "enter the public domain" if they are evidence in a court.

Patented or trademarked work, no.

And yes, you can place your own work in the public domain if you like.
The only real reason to go with something like an MIT/BSD license with
computer code is the "no warranties" clause, even though I suspect it
would be really, really hard for someone to sue you over defective code
you gave away. In fact, in Maryland (and I'm not claiming I had anything
to do with this), free software under any license or none at all is
specifically exempted from UCITA and all consumer protection laws.

- R