RE: [SLUG] Java programming internships

From: Josh Tiner (jtiner@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Thu Jun 12 2003 - 11:23:05 EDT

Is it just me, or did it just get really hot in here?

Mark, I'm really going to try to be as polite as I possibly can -
because as tempted as I am to write a scathing flame post in return I
would like to make my case - as a student, as a person looking for work,
and as a person not trying to "dehumanize" anyone out there. So let's go
piece by piece and read on in-line...

The world's just an unfair and cruel place isn't it?

> Why should they pay an IT person when they can get
>it for free ! Alas most of our corporate attitudes
>have gone that way.. think about this..

Let's think about it. First off, it sounds like you are under the
assumption that companies would hire an intern to handle all of their
needs for nothing when in actuality some of the (smart!) companies out
there realize that by hiring qualified interns they are able to find out
their potential, how they work, and in a best case scenario where to
place them within the company for a permanent position. In most cases
it's like a trial run.

There are other situations too, like for nonprofit organizations who
can't afford the high end developers with all the "l33t" skills to work
on their projects.

Then there are the companies who are doing their part as responsible
corporate citizens to help graduates and undergrads acquire the
necessary real world experience to move into the skilled positions you
speak of below. We have to start somewhere you know!

> First we had Lawyers.. now you have paralegals,
>First we had Doctors, now you have practicioners,
>Where you once had skilled labor, you now have
>interns.

Is it just me, or did you just insinuate that because I'm looking for an
internship I have no "skills". That is nothing short of an insult Mark,
and I've got plenty of skills and other experience working in the field
of computing and networking. In fact, your comment sounds downright
stuck-up! Ok, for fear that I might accuse you in a round about way of
being stuck up let me put it this way: if that's your attitude you are
stuck up. The same goes for the rest of reading this with that attitude.

What? Do you really think undergrads want to work free? You think we're
all supposed to flip burgers, tend bars, make porno sites, and blow
leaves for the rest of our lives? HELL NO!

> It is just another way for corporate America to
>dehumanize the work force.

It's not as if people like me are going out of our way to put so-called
"skilled" people out of work! I've been working in this field in one way
or another myself for over a decade now. I'm not some get rich quick dot
com straggler that heard the advertisement for the [insert your
certification factory here] trade school. I have a genuine passion for
this kind of work and I'm going to continue to take it to new levels and
explore areas I haven't been to yet for many more decades to come.

It's not as if I am overstepping my bounds or trying to snow my way into
a position that requires more talent or knowledge than I possess. I am
trying to get a position / internship within a company to put the skills
I already have to good use.

I'm trying to make a career and a living for myself just like anyone
else. We all have to start somewhere. It's not as if I don't have the
same bills and problems everyone else reading this does.

And if my trying to get an internship "dehumanizes" you in some way
well, I suggest you pick up a nice box of Kleenex and hunker down in a
dark corner of your network closet and blow a big snot bubble into it
for yourself and the other "IT" people it dehumanizes. Cowboy up!

> And at the risk of being flogged, or stoned to death
>for making such a statement in Florida..

Maybe you wouldn't be at such risk if you would try being less
condescending to others on this issue.

> This, ladies and gentlemen, is why we ( as a
>country) need strong unions.

Is it just me, or did I suggest / support that months ago! We all now
what an utter state of chaos the IT workforce is in. It's an undeniable
fact that something needs to be done. But judging from your comments
above you'd just sooner leave people like me out in the cold to starve.
Well, if that's the way you like to play it let's go. I can hustle with
the best of 'em.

>(Ducking for cover)...
>
>Mark

What? You wanted me to warm and fuzzy after what you've said? In case
you haven't noticed I've got heat with you Mark. I'm not going to be
treated like some dot com straggler off the street. Not by you, not by
anyone.

Now if you want to be productive and play nice and work together on
getting some sort of union / organization going I'm right there in the
trench with you but I'm not just going to lie on my back and be treated
like dirt because people like you feel that I'm moving in on their turf.

Someone turn on the A/C, I'm burnin' up.

-jtiner

[snip]