Re: [SLUG] Groupware software.

From: SpamFree (SpamFree@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Thu Jun 12 2003 - 11:47:58 EDT

On Wednesday June 11 2003 09:07 pm, you wrote:
> At 05:55 PM 6/11/2003 -0400, you wrote:
> >Does anyone know of decent Groupware package that can do the following:
> >
> >1: The Groupware server that can run on the Linux platform.
> >2: The client must be a thick type client that can run on Windows or
> >Linux. A web based version would be ok so long as it's not cumbersome.
> >3: Calendaring and Scheduling.
> >4: Contacts.
> >5: Transfer existing contacts from Outlook clients into the new Groupware
> >system.
> >
> >I would prefer this to be opensource but would be willing to pay for a
> >proprietary version.
> >
> >Thanks,
> >Brett
>
> Have you seen SuSE's openExchange Server? It's not open source, but over
> all it's a hella'va lot cheaper than Exchange.
>
> SuSE actually developed it to migrate from Exchange 5.5. It has an
> editable web piece that's compatible with most
> web browsers and has the ability to synchronize with Outlook and Palm
> systems as well.
>
> http://www.suse.de/en/business/products/suse_business/openexchange/
>
> I haven't used it myself, but I've been reading about it for awhile now.
>
> VT

Small correction. The SuSE OpenExchange server is indeed Open Source. However
it is not freely available. You must purchase OpenExchange in order to get
the source. Remember, they are only required to provide the source to those
that they distribute the binaries to.

OpenExchange is comprised of Postfix, Cyrus, Apache, OpenLDAP, Samba and maybe
others.

Another alternative to Openexchange is the Kolab Server. It is based on the
same individual packages as above but is completely free.
http://kolab.kde.org