Re: [SLUG] Old computer

From: Doug Koobs (dkoobs@dkoobs.com)
Date: Sat Jul 05 2003 - 19:48:44 EDT

Maureen L. Thomas wrote:

> Friends of mine brought me a computer and wanted to see if I could
> figure out why it wasn't geting more than basic colors. It runs
> win95, she got it from her boss at work when they got new puters for
> the office. It has a VGA adapter, no video card inside. It also has
> two motherboards. One on the bottom and then a half board on top.
> The top board holds the ethernet cards and a modem. It only has 32 mg
> of memory. It runs fine but I have no idea how to get a video card in
> there. Do they make short cards. It has PCI slots (2) avail. How
> hard will it be to find one, if there is such a creature? They are
> trying to get is set up for her sister who has no puter and can't
> afford one. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks,
> Maureen

You should be able to fit any PCI video card in there... Just make sure
it is PCI and not AGP, and you should be fine. Then, you should be able
to go into the BIOS and disable the onboard video chip.

That second motherboard is actually called a daughterboard, due to the
craftiness and wit of the engineers who designed it. I have an old Acer
PC that has one of these... What make/model are you referring to?

Doug