Re: [SLUG] Old computer

From: Maureen L. Thomas (res1ydl9@verizon.net)
Date: Mon Jul 07 2003 - 08:23:17 EDT

JamesS wrote:

>Without any hardware information it is hard to GUESS at what the problem is.
>This sounds like a really old 386, 486, or early pentium puter that has had
>Win 95 installed. Many of the old compaq's, Packard Bell's, H-P's to name
>just a few had daughter cards for some of the hardware. Many that had only
>VGA and not SVGA could only display at most 256 colors. If you can only get
>16 colors you need to identify the motherboard or video chipset and find the
>drivers for them.If it is a compaq i have a pentium 150 compaq prolinea 5150
>that is still running and could possibly copy the drivers from it. This
>compaq can only run 256 colors and since i am still running win 3.1 on it
>dont need any more. If you dont mind having a limited video card you might
>check out the used cards like the trident 1MB PCI video cards at
>www.computersurplusoutlet.com . This is a very short card that might fit.
>
>I know you dont want to hear this kind of rant, but you are not doing anyone
>any good trying to run very old puters, especially a newbie person. I have
>bought dozens of older puters at Bay Area Auctions Services at auctions.
>These are usually pent 2-350 or higher puters which you can get for around
>$70-$100. Plain Jane, yes, but they still run pretty good and are plenty
>good for basic computer beginners. I have a short list of people (10) who
>want me to get them one of these puters the next time i go to the auction.
>
>JamesS

I don't mind the rant, I run an AMD 850 on homebuilt puter. This one
belongs to a friend who wants to upgrade it (video) and figured I might
be able to tell them what they need. I did try to persuade them to just
buy one. They really are cheap for what they want done with it. I do
appreciate the help from everyone, Thanks again. Maureen