Re: [SLUG] Old computer

From: Robert Eanes (rheanes3@yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Jul 08 2003 - 02:54:19 EDT

Ok, If you haven't already found a solution to the
problem ... there are basically two ways to go with
this. 1. configure the video correctly for the card(or
chipset) that is already in the computer.. or 2.
disable the onboard video and install an older PCI
video card.

As for the onboard video. If it's like the ones I've
seen before then there are three points to look at
when properly configuring these setups: The bios
will, in some version of this kind of setup, have a
setting for the amount of "shared" memory to allocate
to video. You will be able to increase this and allow
for higher color depth and more resolution. Secondly,
the proper drivers need to be installed, and thirdly,
if you cannot get enough bit depth for the number of
colors you wish then the resolution will need to be
decreased to allow for the depth you wish. Aside from
that .. sometimes you can add a couple of video ram
chips to motherboard... depending if it is one of the
kinds of boards that has a spot for them(my old IBM
PC350 is a good example).

I happen to have a load of parts in my garage. Enough
to put together are ten computers of the same
generation of computers you seem to be talking about.
If you would interested in taking a look at the parts
or highering the repair out, please contact me
offlist. Generally speaking I do this for cost so ..
I'm not looking to make money, but just trying to keep
requests at a minimum :)

Good Luck,
Rob