Re: [SLUG] Promise RAID 0 data recovery

From: SpamFree (SpamFree@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Tue Jul 08 2003 - 08:47:07 EDT

On Tuesday July 08 2003 02:02 am, you wrote:
> Sorry this isn't totally linux related....but it is my debian box so
> I'll try to squeek it by.
>
> I just upgraded my computer and put my old hardware into my linux server
> for all the obvious reasons. My server consisted of a Gigabyte P4 Titan
> 8PE667 Ultra that had a 2.4B with that big Zalman copper heatsink on it.
> The mobo has a Promise 20276 Fasttrak 133 RAID 0+1 controller with two
> 80 Gig WD special edition drives in RAID 0. The data on there i would
> REALLY like to keep.
>
> I came home a few days ago to find the hearsink on the bottem of the
> case with the processor and part of the socket still attached to it.
> Needless to say both the mobo and the chip are toast...luckly both items
> are under warrenty. Intel replaced the chip and newegg is replacing the
> mobo. Problem is that they no longer have that exact mobo and they are
> going to replace my mobo with a comparable model. I called them and
> found out that they are going to give me a Abit IS7 instead which i am
> ok with but there is no Promise RAID controller...upon further review it
> seems as if the promise controller has been completely replaced by
> serial ata raid.
>
> does anyone know if you can get the data off a RAID 0 array created by a
> Promise 20276 with a Promise FASTTRACK MODEL SX4000 RAID5 or a PROMISE
> FASTTRAK TX2000.
>
> http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduct.asp?submit=manufactory&manufactory
> =1119&catalog=11&DEPA=1&sortby=14&order=1
>
> Thanks
>
> noah

This is a question best answered by Promise technical support. I would guess
that it is entirely possible to mount your old RAID 0 array with the new
controller but, since this controller is new, it is unlikely that many people
have tried your exact situation. This is why your best bet is Promise.

I'll spare you the lecture about tape backup, especially when using non-fault
tolerant drive configurations. ;)