Re: [SLUG] Dual boot Redhat - Debian changing KDE what's up with that

From: SpamFree (SpamFree@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Tue Jul 08 2003 - 08:49:56 EDT

On Tuesday July 08 2003 06:36 am, you wrote:
> I have a dual boot system. RedHat and Debian (Redhat is used for the
> tough questions my son asks and I need to boot into RedHat 9.0 to see
> what he is talking about).
>
> The problem is. If I boot into RedHat 9.0 and KDE. I see my KDE desktop
> that I had setup in Debian. But the icons and menu items on the panel
> are different. When I return back to Debian (My daily distro of choice)
> my menus and pane are now what they were in RedHat. I seem to have fixed
> this once, but wouldn't you know it I can't seem to find my notes. I
> remember finding a dir somewhere that had all the menu itmes in it and I
> ran a command like rebuild-menu or something on that order to return my
> system to pre RedHat 9.0.
>
> Also is there away I could prevent this from happening? What files/dir
> would I need to backup and restore?
>
> Thanks
> Mike M.

The "problem" here is that both distros are using the same home directory.
Reconfigure your setup so that each distro uses its own individual home
directory and you won't have this problem any more. You can still mount the
other system's home directory if you need access to files, you just don't
mount it as /home or /root