Re: [SLUG] brighthouse

From: Steven Buehler (swbuehler@yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Jul 08 2003 - 09:17:17 EDT

On Tue, 2003-07-08 at 08:23, J. David Boyd wrote:
> For $20 a month, my wife would have to live with a 200' cat 5 cable, and
> a bunch of 8 penny nails pounded into the wall to string it on!!!

How about running it under the carpet? All that's required is a
straightened-out wire coat hanger and and a carpet knife to make some
minor invisible incisions unless you want to pull the carpet off the
nailboard. :-) Did that with speaker wire all the time (but then, Cat-5
cable is a lot thicker than 2-wire speaker cable)...

I have seen "phone wire" networks that use the existing telephone wiring
in the house/apartment, but I haven't tried it myself and haven't heard
anything about how good it is. I would think, since most telephone
wiring is done nowadays with Cat-5 cabling, that there wouldn't be much
difference.

Heck, they prewired the garage of our house for an automatic opener
using Cat-5 cable, which made trying to hook up the opener an
interesting task (especially when the wire colors don't match what the
instruction guide says they're supposed to be).

--
Steven Buehler <swbuehler@yahoo.com>